Empowering physicians to lead in the delivery of high-quality health care
As America evaluates changes in our health care system, the perspectives of practicing physicians and their patients must be heard – and addressed.
The Physicians Foundation is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that empowers all physicians to provide high-quality care and take a leadership role in shaping the future of health care. As the U.S. health care system continues to evolve, we are steadfast in strengthening the physician-patient relationship, supporting medical practices’ sustainability and helping physicians navigate the changing health care system.
We pursue our mission through research, education and innovative grant making that improves physician wellbeing, strengthens physician leadership, addresses social determinants of health and lifts physician perspectives.
- The medical profession’s central tenet is the primacy of physicians’ duty to their patients.
- The profession of medicine and the integrity of the patient-physician relationship are essential elements of high-quality health care.
- The perspective of practicing physicians is critical to the ongoing discourse on how to improve health care delivery in our country.
Our work is designed to achieve the following goals:
- Address with urgency the immediate and ongoing impediments to physician wellbeing and provide the basis for improved practice environments and professional fulfillment.
- Strengthen collective and individual physician leadership across the nation, in a variety of practice environments and at every career phase, with consideration for early-career and under-represented physician populations.
- Continue to build broad-based understanding of the social determinants of health and their implications for patients and physicians.
- Ensure that the physician’s perspective is a significant factor in decision-making and policy-development at the state and national levels by leveraging foundation research and engaging in effective collaborations.